Fresh Pear Crisp
- 2 gallons plus 1 quart Anjou or Bose pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup lemon juice
- Spice Sauce, prepared
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups quick cooking oatmeal
- 3 cups pecans, chopped
- 2 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 2 pounds granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart water
- Crisp: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter two 12 x 20 x 2 1/2-inch baking pans.
- Pour lemon juice over sliced pears to prevent browning. Place 4 1/2 quarts in
each prepared baking pan. Pour 2 cups Spice Sauce over pears in each pan.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Combine and blend sugar, flour and oatmeal with butter until crumbly; add nuts.
- Remove pears from oven and evenly sprinkle half of topping mixture over each pan.
Return to oven and bake uncovered until pears are tender and topping is golden brown.
- Spice Sauce: Combine sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Dissolve
in 1 quart water. Cook and stir until thickened and clear.
Yields 50 servings.