- 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 13 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups frozen egg whites, thawed, or 20 fresh large egg whites
- 7 1/2 cups hot water
- 7 cups molasses
- Lightly grease and flour two 18 x 26 x 1-inch sheet pans.
- Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl using a paddle attachment. Blend on low
speed for 1 minute.
- Mix vegetable oil, egg whites, hot water, and molasses in a bowl with a wire
whip for 2 minutes or until blended. Slowly add the oil mixture to dry ingredients
on low speed and mix for 1 minute or until blended. Scrape down the sides of the
- Pour 1 gallon (8 pounds 12 ounces) of batter into each prepared sheet pan.
- Bake in a conventional oven for 35 minutes at 350 degrees F. Bake in a convection
oven for 24 minutes at 325 degrees F.
- Cut each cake into 50 pieces (10 x 5 rows).
Yield: 100 pieces
Nutrients Per Serving: Calories 238; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 40g; Total
Fat 7.9g; Saturated Fat 1.2g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 242mg; Dietary Fiber 1g
To make pouring easy, place bottles of molasses in hot water for 5 minutes before
Serve with whipped topping, confectioners sugar or orange glaze.
Cupcakes can be made by using a No. 16 scoop (1/4 cup). Put into greased or paper-lined
muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees F in a conventional oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
One gallon of batter makes about 50 cupcakes.