- 1 1/4 pounds unsalted butter, softened ( 5 sticks)
- 3 cups brown sugar (packed)
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 5 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 6 cups quick oats, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 pounds raisins or dates
- Cream butter and sugar; add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Beat in salt, baking soda, vanilla extract, allspice and orange peel.
- Add flour, a little at a time, and mix well.
- Add raisins or dates and blend well.
- Chill dough.
- Drop chilled dough by teaspoonsful onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes.
Source: The Church Kitchen, by Doris Box