Shortcake for 50
- 10 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cold butter or margarine
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- In a bowl, combine flour, 2 1/4 cups sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter
- Stir in cream and water just until moistened.
- Drop by 1/4 cupsful 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes
or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- Combine berries and remaining sugar.
- To serve, split shortcakes lengthwise; spoon about 1/3 cup berries and whipped
cream on both halves.
- Replace tops, top with along 1/3 cup of berries and additional cream.
Yields 12 dozen.