Southwestern Tortilla Soup
- 1/2 pound diced butter
- 9 cups diced Spanish onions
- 1 cup grated garlic
- 12 cups fine diced zucchini
- 4 pounds corn kernels
- 12 cups diced plum tomatoes
- 2 gallons chicken stock or vegetable water
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/8 cup
diced jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup ground cumin
- Salt and
pepper, to taste
- 10 corn tortillas, julienne cut
- Shredded Cheddar cheese as
- Diced tomato as needed
- Chopped scallions as needed
- In a braising pan, melt butter. When foamy add onions and garlic. Sauté until
onions are soft and garlic is golden brown; add zucchini, corn, cumin, chili powder
and cayenne pepper sauce. Sauté for 5 minutes and add tomatoes, jalapeno peppers
and chicken stock.
- Simmer for 10 minutes add cilantro.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and cool in ice bath.
- Label with the date and refrigerate.
- To serve: Cut tortillas into 2 x 1/2-inch strips. Deep fry until golden brown.
Drain and season with salt and cayenne pepper. Place soup in an 8-ounce bowl and
garnish in the following order:
8 tortilla strips
1/2 ounce cheddar cheese
1/4 ounce chopped tomatoes
1/4 ounce chopped scallions
Makes 50 servings (3 gallons).