Stew for a Crowd
- 25 pounds beef stew meat
- 5 pounds onions, diced (about 16 cups)
- 2 celery
stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 14 cups)
- About 5 quarts water
- 1/2 cup
browning sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 12 bay leaves
- 15 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 16 cups)
- 10 pounds carrots,
cut into 1-inch pieces (about 24 cups)
- 10 cups frozen peas
- 10 cups frozen
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups milk
- Divide stew meat, onions and celery between several large stockpots. Add water
to fill pots half full. Add browning sauce if desired and seasonings. Cover and
simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots; simmer for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add peas and corn; simmer 1 hour longer.
- Combine flour and enough milk to make a smooth (but not runny) paste; add to
stew, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Yields 120 (1-cup) servings.