Vegetarian Mushroom Burgers
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound shredded carrots
- 18 pounds finely chopped
- 4 pounds chopped mushrooms
- 12 ounces beaten pasteurized egg whites
- 1 (50 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups chopped pimiento
- 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 3/4 teaspoon
- 3 pounds finely chopped cooked brown rice
- 14 ounce fresh bread crumbs
- 50 whole wheat buns, split and toasted
- In large braising pan in hot oil cook carrots and onions until tender.
covered in refrigerate at 40 degrees F or lower to cool.
- Mix cooled carrots, onions mushrooms, and egg whites. Add soup, pimiento, Worcestershire,
parsley, celery salt, garlic powder, sage and pepper. Mix well, stir in rice. Add
bread crumbs, mix lightly. Portion using a 4 1/2 ounce scoop. Shape into 4 x 1/2-inch
- On a lightly oiled surface, grill at 375 degrees F for 5 minutes per side.
- Place patties on a sheet pan sprayed with vegetable cooking spray.
- Bake at 350
degrees F until internal temperature is 140 degrees F or higher for 15 seconds,
about 10 minutes.
- Hold patties at 140 degrees F or higher.
- Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, mustard and ketchup.
Yield: 50 servings (4 1/2 ounce burger)