Cold Pesto Salad
- 2 pounds 8 ounces small shell macaroni
- 5 pounds California or Italian blend
- 3 cups green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 quart black olives,
sliced and drained
- 2 cups parsley, chopped
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup dried
- 4 to 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup garlic, chopped
- 1 cup rice
- 5 1/2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 quarts plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, chopped
- Cook macaroni until barley tender. Rinse and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Cook vegetables until tender. Drain and cut into bite-size pieces if necessary.
- Add cooled vegetables, onions, olives and parsley to cooled pasta. Mix well.
- To make the dressing, put tomato paste, basil, garlic to taste and canola oil
in a food processor or blender. Blend, scraping often, until fairly smooth.
vinegar, cheese and yogurt. Blend again.
- Pour dressing over pasta-vegetable mixture.
- Add tomatoes and mix well.
Makes 50 servings.