German Potato Salad
- 10 pounds red potatoes
- 2 pounds bacon
- 2 cups red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups vinegar plus water to equal 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 4 eggs, slightly
- Peel potatoes if desired, and cook in lightly boiling water until tender but
not mushy. Drain and place in a bowl to cool. When cool enough to handle, cut into
- Cut bacon strips into eighths and fry in a skillet until crisp. Remove from pan
and drain on paper towels. In the same skillet, cook onion in bacon drippings until
translucent. Add vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and caraway seed. Continue cooking
until sugar is dissolved. Add egg and stir until thickened. Pour over warm potatoes
and toss until well blended.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 36 (1/2 cup) servings.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cooking for a Crowd Recipes