Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- 22 pounds 8 ounces (20 No. 3 cans) sweet potatoes
- 2 oranges, fresh, unpeeled,
thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 cups butter or margarine, melted
- 3 1/2 quarts (5
pounds) brown sugar (packed)
- 2 1/4 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup cornstarch
quarts reserved potato syrup or water
- Reserve syrup from potatoes. Place potatoes in single layer in each greased pan.
- Garnish potatoes with orange slices.
- Pour an equal quantity of butter or margarine
over potatoes in each pan.
- Combine brown sugar, salt, cornstarch; mix together with 2 quarts reserved syrup
from potatoes or water; bring to a boil, and cook about 5 minutes. Pour over potatoes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake for 25 minutes; baste with syrup, continue baking
31 pounds fresh sweet potatoes may be substituted for canned sweet potatoes
in recipe. Top with marshmallows if desired.
If desired, potatoes may be prepared in 3 (18 x 26-inch) sheet pans.
Yields 100 portions.