Savory Refried Beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound 2 ounces onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons
- 3 pounds 4 ounces canned tomatoes, crushed
- 3 tablespoons chili
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 11 pounds pinto beans, cooked or canned,
drained (7 pounds 8 ounces drained weight)
- Heat oil in a medium size heavy pot. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until
soft (10 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Stir in tomatoes, chili powder
and cumin. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- If using canned pintos, rinse to partially remove salt.
- In a food processor, puree beans, adding small amount of the tomato sauce to
thin. Leave some beans whole.
- Put beans into pot with remaining sauce and heat,
Makes 50 servings.