- 4 (#10) cans tomatoes
- 1 pound onions
- 2 pounds bread
- 8 ounces granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs or cracker meal
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 stick (4 ounces) margarine, melted
- Drain off half of the tomato juice and reserve for another use.
- Sauté onions in margarine. Trim bread and dice in 1/4 inch cubes.
- Place tomatoes and juice, sugar, salt and pepper in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Combine onion and margarine mixture and toasted bread crumbs, mixing well. Combine
with tomato mixture and place in lightly greased pans.
- Top with crumbs, Parmesan
cheese and melted margarine.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 375 degrees F. Bread cubes
will absorb excess moisture; top should be nicely browned.