Southwestern Hash Browns
- 25 pounds potatoes, peeled
- 2 1/2 pounds diced cooked ham
- 2 1/2 pounds
- 2 1/2 pounds chopped green bell peppers
- 1 finely diced red bell
- 1/2 pound fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 pounds (8 cups) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until just cooked, drain. Cool and chill several
hours or overnight.
- Grate cooked potatoes into large bowl.
- Sauté ham, onions and peppers in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Add to potatoes along with seasonings and mix well.
- On a griddle cook potatoes in remaining butter (or use cooking oil) until browned,
turning to brown on both sides.
- Place half of the potatoes on a platter, then top with cheese and remaining potatoes.
Serves 90 - 100.