- 13 pounds zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons virgin
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 13 pounds eggplant, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup Italian
- 1 gallon plus 9 cups canned peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 6 3/4 pounds low fat ricotta cheese
- 3 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 13 eggs,
- 1 1/2 cups parsley, chopped
- 6 1/4 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place zucchini slices in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover saucepan
and steam 2 minutes or until almost tender.
- Drain zucchini on paper towels.
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Sauté eggplant
minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water, cover skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes until
- Stir in herbs, tomato and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer
for 5 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except bread crumbs, in a mixing bowl.
with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange half the zucchini slices in the bottom of a shallow oiled baking pan.
- Top with a layer of half the cheese mixture.
- Add a layer of half the eggplant mixture
- Repeat with remaining zucchini, cheese and eggplant.
- Sprinkle with
bread crumbs and bake for 35 minutes.
Can be made ahead and re-warmed in the oven.