I tried these last week and they were very tasty, especially just after they
came out of the fryer and were dipped in sugar. The only change I made was dipping
the fritters in regular sugar with a bit of cinnamon. Thanks for a tasty recipe!
Regards, Cookin' Dad
P.S. The orange juice and orange rind added a nice, unique touch.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup apples*
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- Confectioners' sugar
* Unpeeled apple which is finely diced or grated
- In mixing bowl, combine beaten egg, milk, apple, sugar, salt, orange peel, orange
juice and vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder; fold into
the apple mixture, stir just until all flour is moistened.
- Drop batter by rounded
teaspoon into hot oil (350 degrees F). Fry until deep golden brown, about 3-4 minutes,
- Drain fritters thoroughly on paper towels.
- Roll in confectioners'
sugar or sift the sugar over the tops.
Yield: about 40 fritters.
Posted by Cookin' Dad at Recipe Goldmine 8/8/2001 9:59 am.
Source: Posted by Carol - Jan. 14, 2000 (old board) - recipe from The Best
of Country Cooking