This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 2 1/2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lard or shortening
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 egg whites
- Milk as needed
- 2/3 cup cornflakes, crushed
- 5 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt together.
- Cut in shortening.
- Put the egg yolk in a
measuring cup and add milk to make 2/3 cup total. Add to shortening mixture. Mix
into a ball.
- Roll half into a 15 x 11-inch rectangle and place on a cookie sheet.
- Cover with cornflakes and apples.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll out other
half of dough for top and pinch edges shut. Beat egg whites and spread over the
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Drizzle glaze of confectioners' sugar and lemon juice (may require more lemon
juice) over top after baking.