Blueberry Meringue Rice Custard
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 (21 ounce) can blueberry pie filling
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine rice, 2 1/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup sugar, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt in
medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring
- Beat egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup milk. Stir into rice and cook for 2
minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Turn into buttered 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Combine blueberry filling and lemon juice. Spread over rice mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Remove from oven.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, salt and vanilla extract.
Beat until stiff but not dry. Spread over hot filling, sealing meringue to edges.
- Return to oven and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until peaks of meringue are golden
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.
Makes 8 servings.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Other Dessert Recipes