- 1 (16 ounce) can sour cherries
- 3 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Drain cherries, reserving juice. Cut cherries into small pieces.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Mix shortening, 2 cups sugar, eggs and milk; beat until smooth.
- Blend in flour mixture and cherries; pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes; cut into squares.
- Mix remaining sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Add enough water to reserved
cherry juice to make 1 1/2 cups liquid; add lemon juice and almond extract.
- Add to cornstarch mixture; boil for 1 minute.
- Serve over pudding squares, topped with whipped cream, if desired.
Yield: 12 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.