- 2/3 cup butter or margarine
- 4 ounces semisweet
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate squares or pieces
- 1/4 cup strong coffee
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup coffee liqueur
- 3 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Brownie Shell
- Chocolate Glaze
- Chocolate curls
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons
- Brownie Shell: Melt butter with chocolate in saucepan over low heat.
- Remove from
heat and add sugar and eggs.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt and beat into
- Add vanilla extract.
- Line a greased 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan with wax paper.
- Pour in batter and
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes or until cake springs
back when lightly touched. Cake should be soft, not crisp.
- Turn out on rack and
- Invert on towel and peel off paper.
- Filling: Combine chocolate and coffee in top of double boiler and melt over hot
water. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks until page yellow in color and stir in some
of the chocolate mixture.
- Return to chocolate in pan, stirring until smooth.
stir in liqueur and cool.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat
- Whip cream until stiff. Fold cream into cooled chocolate mixture, then fold in
- Line bottom and sides of a greased 9-inch square baking dish with brownie
shell, cutting strips for sides and a 9-inch square for bottom of mold.
- Turn filling
into cake-lined mold and cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill for 3 to 4 hours or until firm.
- Chocolate Glaze: Combine chocolate and coffee in top of double boiler and melt
over hot water.
- Invert onto serving platter.
- Glaze with Chocolate Glaze. Let glaze set and decorate
with chocolate curls.
- To make chocolate curls, bring 1 ounce square of semisweet chocolate to
room temperature. With a vegetable peeler, scrap thin curls of chocolate from sides
of square onto wax paper.
- Cut into very thin slices to serve.
Makes 20 to 30 servings.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.