Chocolate Raspberry Pot Pies
- 9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) cool
unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Scant 1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process,
plus extra for rolling
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 18 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 10 tablespoons (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons)
unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup raspberries
- Whipped cream for serving, optional
- Crust: Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment
(or using a hand mixer) until fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla and mix.
the remaining ingredients together, then add to the butter mixture and mix.
the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle
a work surface with cocoa.
- Roll the dough out to about 1/8-inch thick, then cut
rounds to fit the tops of the pies.
- Filling: Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the egg yolks, the whole eggs,
and the sugar in a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip until fluffy and
- Stir the melted chocolate into the egg mixture.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Use a ladle or pitcher to divide the filling among 10 to 12 ramekins. Gently
push 3 raspberries down into each one. Arrange the ramekins on a baking sheet.
the pie filling for 6 minutes.
- Remove the pies but leave the oven on.
- Top each pie
with a round of chocolate crust and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes, until crisp.
cool slightly and serve with whipped cream.
- Or let cool completely and rewarm before
- Serve the same day.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Posted by Marla at Recipe Goldmine 2/5/2002 5:49 pm.