Coconut Bavarian Cream with Blueberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch combined with 2 tablespoons cold lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unflavored powdered gelatine
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Fresh blueberries, red currants, raspberries or other red berries, as desired, for garnish
- Combine blueberries, honey and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat and
cook until blueberries soften, about 10 minutes if frozen, 5 minutes if fresh.
- Press blueberry mixture through a sieve, reserving juices. Measure out 1/2 cup juice and
return it to saucepan over medium heat; add cornstarch-lemon juice mixture, and
cook until thick and bubbling.
- Remove from heat; set aside to cool completely.
- In another saucepan, over low heat, combine coconut milk and sugar, cook gently
for 2 to 3 minutes dissolving sugar; do not let mixture boil.
- Soften the gelatine in a small bowl in 1 cup cold water; allow to stand for 2
- Warm the softened gelatine in a small saucepan over low heat until it dissolves
in its soaking water.
- Add gelatine to coconut milk-sugar mixture and place mixture in a medium bowl.
Place this bowl in a large bowl of ice cubes and water. Let mixture cool, stirring
it often with a whisk, until it becomes thick and creamy with a consistency close
to that of whipped cream, about 4 to 6 minutes. Immediately remove from ice bath.
- Whip the heavy cream until it forms thick peaks. Remove 1/2 cup of whipped cream,
fold into the blueberry puree and set aside.
- Fold the coconut milk-gelatine mixture
into the rest of the whipped cream.
- In a 1-quart, lightly oiled decorative mold, place 21/2 cups of the whipped coconut
mixture, smooth evenly.
- Make a well around the center of the mold.
- Carefully spoon
reserved blueberry cream into the well, smoothing evenly and staying away from outside
edges of mold.
- Cover blueberry mixture with remaining whipped coconut mixture, to
create a "tunnel" of blueberry cream, and smooth over the top again.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Unmold and serve garnished with fresh blueberries and red currants or other berries
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Source: Oregon Blueberry Commission
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Other Dessert Recipes