Deep-Fried Date-Filled Wontons
- 8 ounces pitted dates, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, cashews or
- 1 tablespoon orange juice, or more if needed
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 48 wonton wrappers*
- Oil (for
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- Ground cinnamon (for dusting)
- Mix together the chopped dates, nuts, orange juice, five spice powder and lemon
zest, adding more orange juice if necessary to make the mixture moist enough to
hold together. Form the date mixture into small cylinders about 1/4 inch wide and
1/2 inch long. Place the date rolls diagonally on the wonton wrappers and roll up
into a tube. Twist the ends of the tube, forming a shape like a Christmas cracker.
- Heat the oil to a temperature of 350 degrees F and fry in batches of 6 to 8 at
a time, turning as necessary, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and dust
with confectioners' sugar and/or cinnamon if desired.
Makes 48 fritters, to serve 8 to 10.