- 6 individual Twinkies
- Popsicle sticks
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- Flour for dusting
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours or overnight.
- Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in deep fryer to about 375 degrees F.
- To make batter: Mix together milk, vinegar and oil.
- In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing until smooth.
- Refrigerate while oil heats.
- Push stick into
Twinkie lengthwise, leaving about 2 inches to use as a handle, dust with flour and
dip into the batter. Rotate Twinkie until batter covers entire cake.
- Place carefully
in hot oil. The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even
browning. It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. Depending on the size of your
deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most.
- Remove Twinkies to a paper towel and let drain.
- Remove stick and allow Twinkie
to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
Variation: Slice Twinkie into 4 pieces. Flour and batter each before frying.
With this treatment, one Twinkie will serve two people if accompanied by a sauce.