Grilled cheese: slices of cheese between slices of bread, grilled until the bread is toasty and the cheese melted.
Yield: 4 dozen pieces, about 16 servings
Hands-on: 25 to 30 min | Baking: 45 to 50 min
- Prepared batter for Golden Vanilla Pound Cake, or your favorite pound cake recipe using about 2 cups of flour
- Softened butter
- 3 (6.8 ounce) chocolate bars, the kind that break into small rectangles; we prefer Hershey's Special Dark chocolate
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8 inch square cake pan; line it with parchment and grease the parchment, if you don't trust your pan to release the cake nicely.
- Pour the prepared pound cake batter into the pan.
- Bake the cake for about 40 minutes, until a cake tester or wooden pick inserted into the center comes out without any clinging crumbs.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool completely.
- When you're ready to make grilled chocolate sandwiches, slice the cake in long strips, about 3/8" thick.
- Butter one side of each strip.
- Space three chocolate rectangles along the unbuttered side of half the strips. Top with the remaining cake strips, buttered-side up.
- Cut each strip into thirds crosswise, cutting between the pieces of chocolate.
- Cook the cake sandwiches on a griddle preheated to about 325 to 350 degrees F or in a frying pan set over medium heat. Cook until the cake is golden and the chocolate melted, about 2 minutes per side. Hint: Cook one sandwich first, to test the temperature/timing.
- Serve as is, or with a scoop of ice cream.
Grilled chocolate: Place chocolate bars between slices of pound cake, then grill until the cake is toasty and the chocolate melted.