Grilled cheese: slices of cheese between slices of bread, grilled till the bread
is toasty and the cheese melted.
Grilled chocolate: chocolate bars between slices of pound cake, grilled till
the cake is toasty and the chocolate melted.
- Prepared batter for Golden Vanilla Pound Cake, or your
favorite pound cake recipe using about 2 cups of flour
- softened butter
- 3 (6.8-ounce) chocolate bars,
the kind that break into small rectangles; we prefer Hershey's Special Dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square cake pan; line it
with parchment and grease the parchment, if you don't trust your pan to release
the cake nicely.
- Pour the prepared pound cake batter into the pan.
- Bake the cake for about 40 minutes, till a cake tester or wooden pick inserted
into the center comes out without any clinging crumbs.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto
a rack to cool completely.
- When you're ready to make grilled chocolate sandwiches, slice the cake in long
strips, about 3/8" thick.
- Butter one side of each strip.
- Space three chocolate rectangles along the unbuttered side of half the strips.
Top with the remaining cake strips, buttered-side up.
- Cut each strip in thirds crosswise, cutting between the pieces of chocolate.
- Cook the cake sandwiches on a griddle preheated to about 325 to 350 degrees F
or in a frying pan set over medium heat. Cook till the cake is golden and the chocolate
melted, about 2 minutes per side. Hint: Cook one sandwich first, to test the temperature/timing.
- Serve as is, or with a scoop of ice cream.
Yield: 4 dozen pieces, about 16 servings
Hands-on time: 25 mins. to 30 mins.
Baking time: 45 mins. to 50 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs 10 mins. to 1 hrs 20 mins.
Reprinted with permission from
King Arthur Flour.