Grilled Pineapple Crepes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Vegetable or canola oil (for pan)
- 1 (3 to 5 pound) whole pineapple
- Melted butter
- Whisk together the flour, milk, eggs, 2 tablespoons melted butter, sugar, salt.
- Refrigerate batter for up to an hour before making crepes.
- Heat outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
- Twist off crown of pineapple, cut into
halves, then quarters. Trim ends, remove core and carefully slice off shell with
a sharp knife. Cut into slices and brush lightly with melted butter.
- Grill for about
4 minutes on each side.
- Heat an 8-inch skillet to medium-high heat. Drizzle a small amount of oil in
the hot pan and spread around with a paper towel.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of batter into
the pan and quickly swirl so batter evenly coats bottom of pan. Cook until batter
starts to set along edges and bottom turns light golden and slightly crisp. Turn
pancake with a spatula and cook until lightly golden.
- Remove to a warm plate and
repeat the process with remaining batter.
- When all crepes are made, lay several slices of grilled pineapple along center
of each crepe, fold over, roll up and serve.
Makes 12 to 14 crepes.
You can top pineapple with a simple sauce made with low-fat vanilla yogurt
mixed with a bit of cinnamon or brown sugar or sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon sugar
before rolling up.
Approximate values per serving (2 crepes): 396 calories, 13 g fat, 119 mg
cholesterol, 11 g protein, 61 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 159 mg sodium, 29 percent
calories from fat