I remember my Mother making this in metal ice cube trays without the insert. We just loved it. This recipe is from the 1950s!
Yield: 12 servings
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) box lemon gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest plus 1/4 cup juice (2 lemons)
- 8 whole Graham crackers, finely ground (about 1 cup)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk, chilled
- Dissolve sugar and gelatin in boiling water in a bowl. Stir in lemon zest and juice. Refrigerate until mixture is thickened, but not completely set, about 90 minutes.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and coat with 1/2 cup Graham cracker crumbs. Using a stand mixer fitted with a the whisk attachment, whip the evaporated milk on medium high speed until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Using a clean, dry mixer bowl and whisk attachment, whip the chilled gelatin mixture until thickened and light lemon colored, about 4 minutes.
- Using a large spatula, fold the gelatin mixture into the the prepared baking pan and smooth top. Sprinkle remaining Graham cracker crumbs evenly over top.
- Cover and refrigerate until fully chilled and set, at least four hours or overnight.
Tip: Chill the mixer bowl, whisk attachment and can of evaporated milk ahead of time.