Do not attempt to make this recipe on a damp, humid or rainy day. If you use
bottled passion fruit juice, boil down 1/2 cup of bottled juice until it measures
1/4 cup, then proceed with recipe. Or you can substitute strawberry or red currant
jam in the glaze.
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4
cups granulated sugar
Cream Cheese Layer
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners'
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cream
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 5 or 6 large freestone peaches
- 1/3 cup undiluted frozen passion fruit juice
- 2 to
3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- Meringue Crust: Lightly butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Set oven rack in center
of oven and preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites and salt to glossy, stiff peaks, gradually adding sugar halfway
through. Spread meringue evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours. Turn the
oven off and leave the meringue inside the oven for 12 hours or overnight. It will
get a hint of color.
- Cream Cheese Layer: Beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract
- In a cold bowl with cold beaters, whip cream to medium-stiff peaks.
- Fold a "scoop" of whipped cream into beaten cheese, to loosen the cheese
and make it easier to fold with the cream.
- Fold remaining cream and marshmallows
into cream cheese.
- Spread over meringue crust and refrigerate 8 to 12 hours.
- Peach Layer: Drop peaches into a large pot of boiling water for 30 seconds to 1
minute. Test readiness by piercing one with a knife tip. If the skin curls back,
peaches are ready to peel. Do not boil longer than 1 minute, or peach pulp will
begin to cook.
- Remove peaches from water with a slotted spoon or wide strainer,
place them in a colander and immediately rinse in cold water. Keep in a bowl of
ice water until all peaches are peeled and pitted. Skins should slip off. If skins
stick to flesh, peel with a knife.
- Slice peaches evenly into 1/4-inch slices and
place in neat lengthwise overlapping rows over the cream-cheese layer. Or cut squares
from pan and decorate individually.
- Glaze: Boil all ingredients until clear. Immediately brush onto all surfaces
- Chill until serving.
- To serve, cut into squares.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.