- 3 pounds ripe peaches
- Grated rind and juice of 1 small lemon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided use
- 8 slices (about 5 x 3 1/2 inches each) country bread (about 3/4 of a 1-pound loaf)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped almonds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peach Layers: Peel and cut them into approximately 1/4-inch wedges. Toss in a
bowl with lemon rind and juice and 3/4 cup sugar.
- Bread Layers: Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet and lay in half the
bread slices. Brown lightly on one side, turn and brown the other side.
- Repeat with remaining butter and bread.
- When all are done, sprinkle with 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.
- Line the bottom of an ungreased, shallow baking dish (about 8 x 10 inches) with
half the bread slices; they should just cover the bottom.
- Spoon half the peaches and half their juices on top.
- Repeat to make another layer of bread, peaches and juice.
- Topping: Toss together flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Cut butter
into small cubes and mix them with the dry ingredients, using your fingertips or
a pastry cutter to incorporate the butter but not too thoroughly-leave small, flaky
pieces of butter throughout.
- Fold in the chopped almonds.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over lasagna.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour (Use the shorter time if peaches were very ripe and
juicy.) The peaches should be tender, the juices bubbling all around and the top
nicely browned. If the peaches seem done but the crumb topping is still pale, slip
the dish under a hot broiler for a minute or two.
- Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings.
Source: Lidia's Family Table by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.