- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 5 cups
fresh pineapple chunks*
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup macadamia
nuts, coarsely chopped (other nuts can be substituted)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready a rimmed baking sheet and a shallow 2-quart
- Spread coconut on baking sheet. Bake, stirring once, for 8-10 minutes until lightly
browned. Let cool.
- Put pineapple in baking dish (if using canned pineapple, add the 1/4 cup juice.)
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 15 minutes or until hot.
- Meanwhile, prepare Topping. Mix first three ingredients in a medium bowl until
- Add butter; mix with fingers until evenly moistened.
- Stir in coconut
- Gather into a large clump, then break off small chunks and scatter evenly
over the hot fruit.
- Bake on a piece of foil (to catch any drips) 35 minutes or until juices bubble,
fruit is tender, and topping is crisp and lightly browned. (Shield topping with
foil if browning too quickly.)
- Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice
cream, whipped topping or just a sprinkling of confectioners' sugar.
* You can substitute canned pineapple using 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks
in juice, drained, reserving 1/4 cup juice.