Pineapple Upside-Down Sundaes
- 1/2 (10 3/4 ounce) all-butter pound cake, see note
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can pineapple
tidbits packed in juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup brandy, see note
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 6 scoops premium
vanilla ice cream
- Remove the still-frozen pound cake from the foil pan. Using a sharp knife, cut
the frozen cake in half. (Reserve the unused half for a future use.)
- Cut the still-frozen
cake half into 6 slices. Place a slice of cake on each of 6 dessert plates. Set
aside to defrost.
- Meanwhile, drain the pineapple, reserving the juice for another use (see note).
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a small saucepan.
- Add the brown sugar,
brandy and orange juice. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes, until the brown sugar
- Add the reserved pineapple tidbits. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring
the sauce to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, to slightly thicken
- To serve, place a scoop of ice cream over each slice of cake and spoon the sauce
evenly on top.
- Serve at once.
Cook's note: In testing, we used the smallest size Sara Lee frozen pound
cake, which is 10 3/4 ounces. If you wrap the unused half in plastic wrap and then
in foil, it should keep frozen for another month.
For an alcohol-free sauce, substitute 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice drained
from the fruit instead of the brandy.
Nutrition values per serving: 329 calories (32 percent from fat), 12 g fat
(7 g saturated), 48 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein, 53 mg cholesterol,
160 mg sodium