Retro Pineapple Dessert Squares
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups crushed pineapple
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- Combine sugar and flour in saucepan; mix well.
- Add orange rind and butter.
- Gradually stir in pineapple; cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens; cool and set aside.
- Combine sugar, oats, flour, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- Stir in softened butter; set aside 1 cup crumb mixture.
- Pat remaining mixture evenly in greased 11 x 7-inch pan; spread cold filling over crust.
- Top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 40 minutes. Cool.
- Cut into 12 squares.
- Serve plain or with sweetened whipped cream.