Rum Pineapple Fritters
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup beer
- 2 (20 ounce) cans sliced pineapple, drained
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 whole egg, plus 1 yolk
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup ground peanuts
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oil for frying
- Beat together 1 cup flour and beer until smooth. Cover tightly; let rest at room
temperature at least 3 hours.
- Place pineapple slices in 9 x 13-inch pan and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Pour on rum; let set at least 30 minutes, turning slices occasionally.
- Remove pineapple, reserving 3 tablespoons marinade.
- In small mixer bowl, beat together 1/4 cup sugar, egg and egg yolk about 2 minutes
- Beat in remaining 1/2 cup flour, about 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Warm milk; spoon egg mixture into milk, blending until smooth. Return to heat and
cook on low until thick, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter until melted.
- Add ground peanuts, reserved rum marinade and vanilla extract; blend well.
- Pat pineapple slices dry. Dip each slice into egg mixture to coat.
- Place on wire rack over large baking sheet. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to set.
- When ready, heat oil for deep frying to 375 degrees F.
- Stir reserved beer batter and dip each pineapple slice into batter.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Makes about 20 fritters.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.