Rum Pineapple Fritters
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup beer
- 2 (20 ounce) cans sliced pineapple, drained
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 whole egg, plus 1 yolk
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup ground peanuts
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oil for frying
- Beat together 1 cup flour and beer until smooth. Cover tightly; let rest at room
temperature at least 3 hours.
- Place pineapple slices in 9 x 13-inch pan and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Pour on rum; let set at least 30 minutes, turning slices occasionally.
- Remove pineapple, reserving 3 tablespoons marinade.
- In small mixer bowl, beat together 1/4 cup sugar, egg and egg yolk about 2 minutes
- Beat in remaining 1/2 cup flour, about 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Warm milk; spoon egg mixture into milk, blending until smooth. Return to heat and
cook on low until thick, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter until melted.
- Add ground peanuts, reserved rum marinade and vanilla extract; blend well.
- Pat pineapple slices dry. Dip each slice into egg mixture to coat.
- Place on wire rack over large baking sheet. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to set.
- When ready, heat oil for deep frying to 375 degrees F.
- Stir reserved beer batter and dip each pineapple slice into batter.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Makes about 20 fritters.