- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 6 to 8 slices pound, sponge or plain cake slices
- 5 egg yolks
- Peach segments
- Boil sugar, water and cloves together for 5 minutes.
- Cool, then add sherry.
- While syrup cools, arrange cake slices on a large round platter. Arrange like
flower petals, their ends meeting toward the center, leaving a 3-inch diameter hole
in the center. Between cake slices arrange long segments of peaches.
- Slightly heat yolks, pour a little syrup over them, and stir. Empty into remaining
syrup and stir over medium heat until mixture coats a spoon (about 5 minutes).
- Pour over the cake and peach segments.
- Garnish as desired.
- Serve hot or cold.