Sour Cream Apple Squares
with Caramel Frosting
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Apple Squares: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar and butter. Beat at low speed until
- Stir in nuts.
- Press 2 3/4 cups of crumb mixture into bottom of ungreased
9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan.
- To remaining mixture add cinnamon, baking soda, salt, sour cream, vanilla extract
and egg. Mix well.
- Stir in apples.
- Spoon evenly over base.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cut into squares, spread
caramel frosting atop squares while hot, and serve warm with whipped cream or ice
- Caramel Frosting: Melt butter; add sugar and a dash of salt. Stir until combined,
add milk, and bring to a boil.
- Remove to a small mixing bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and confectioners' sugar until spreading consistency.
- Spread on hot squares.
Yield: 12 to 16 squares