- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 3 cups pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat egg to a froth, then combine with sugar mixture.
- Add almond extract.
- Gradually sift in the flour; if the dough becomes too dry, moisten
it with the rose water. However, the dough should be relatively stiff.
- Form into
a ball, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Break the dough into 50 to 60 equal pieces and
roll them out to about 8 inches in length. Twist into pretzel shapes and set them
on greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown on the
- Cool on racks.
- After baking, you may brush the pretzels with a mixture of
water, egg white, and sugar, then dip them in hail sugar (hagel-zucker*).
* Hagel-zucker is made in Germany and is available from some specialty shops in