Toffee Bar Dessert
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 to 1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream Crisco and brown sugar in bowl.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Add flour
and salt; mix until blended.
- Put dough into ungreased 17 x 11 x 1-inch pan. Smooth
- Bake for 12 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate pieces over hot baked layer.
- Cover with
foil and let stand 4 minutes.
- Remove foil and spread chocolate evenly over top.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Let stand
for 10 minutes.
- Cut into large squares while still warm; place on dessert plates.
- Serve plain
or topped with whipped topping.
Makes 12 servings as dessert or 24 bar cookies.
May also be cooled completely, cut into bars and served as cookies. Makes
5 to 6 dozen bar cookies. Recipe may also be baked in 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan for 18
to 20 minutes.