- 1 (8 ounce) can almond paste
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 drops green food coloring
- 8 drops red food coloring
- 1 (12 ounce) jar apricot preserves
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 13 x 9-inch baking pans; line with wax
paper; grease paper.
- Break up almond paste in bowl with fork.
- Add butter, sugar, yolks and extract. Beat with mixer until fluffy, 5 minutes.
- Beat in the flour and salt.
- Beat whites in bowl until stiff peaks form. Stir into almond
mixture with wooden spoon, using turning motion similar to folding.
- Remove 1 1/2 cups batter; spread evenly into one of prepared pans.
- Remove another 1 1/2 cups batter to small bowl; tint green
with coloring. Spread into second pan.
- Tint remaining 1 1/2 cups batter pink. Spread in remaining pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are lightly golden; cake layers
will each be 1/2 inch thick.
- Immediately remove cakes from pans onto large wire racks.
- Carefully peel off wax paper.
- Place pink layer on upturned jellyroll pan.
- Heat preserves; strain; reserve chunks in strainer for other uses.
- Spread half of strained preserves over pink layer.
- Top with yellow layer.
- Spread with remaining preserves.
- Cover with green layer, top side up.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Weigh down with large wooden cutting board, heavy
flat tray or large book.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over hot water.
- Trim cake edges even. Cut cake crosswise into 1-inch wide strips.
- Frost pink layer of one strip with chocolate. Turn strip on side and
frost green layer. Let chocolate dry.
- Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Repeat with remaining strips.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.