Apple French Toast Loaf
with Maple Butter
This bread pudding combines flavors reminiscent of "French Toast" with the subtle
tang of the apples and finds a worthy companion in the sweet maple butter. The butter,
nuts, and brown sugar that are added to the pan just before baking form a glaze
when the loaf is inverted and unmolded. Slices are served topped with a maple compound
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups firm white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (approximately 1 pound loaf)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup chopped apples
- 3 tablespoons Challenge Butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- For the Maple Butter, beat 1/2 cup room temperature Challenge Butter until light
and fluffy then beat in 1/4 cup maple syrup.
- For the Bread Pudding, combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large mixing
bowl. Whisk in eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Add bread cubes, cover with plastic
wrap and place in refrigerator at least 30 minutes (leave overnight if desired)
to allow bread to soak up liquid.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; combine with chopped apple. Stir
apples into bread cube mix.
- Butter the sides of a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan (or other 6-cup baking mold), then
melt 3 tablespoons Challenge Butter in the pan in the preheating oven – watch carefully!
Remove pan and evenly sprinkle 1/4 cup brown sugar and nuts over melted butter.
- Add apple/ bread cube mix to the pan. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until top is browned
and firm to touch.
- Unmold pudding, slice and serve with dollop of Maple Butter.
Recipe can be doubled and baked in a 12-cup Bundt pan.
Nutritional Info: Total Calories: 433, Calories from Fat:193, Total Fat:
21.4g, Saturated Fat:10.5g, Cholesterol: 184mg, Sodium: 534mg, Total Carbohydrate:
52g, Dietary Fiber: 2.2g, Sugars: 27.6g, Protein: 9.9g
Source: Challenge Home Economist
Recipe and photo credit: