Banana Bread Pudding
with Rum Sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 5 (1/2-inch thick) slices fresh banana bread
- 3 large bananas, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Generously butter a 12-cup ovenproof baking dish.
- Custard: Whisk the milk, cream and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add the egg yolks and the whole egg one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract, nutmeg and salt, and set aside.
- Bread: Cut four slices of the banana bread vertically into 1-inch-wide fingers. Arrange
an even layer of bread fingers on the bottom of the prepared dish, cutting and fitting
them to cover the bottom. It is fine if they curve slightly up the sides of the
dish. Cover the bread slices with an even layer of banana slices, and then pour
enough custard over the bread and bananas to cover them.
- Repeat the layers of bread and bananas.
- Cut the remaining slice of banana bread into cubes, and sprinkle these
over the bananas, press down slightly on the bread cubes, and cover. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the pudding until it is almost solid through, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the cover and bake until the cubes of banana bread on the top are
golden, an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and cool it on a wire rack.
- While the bread pudding is cooling, make the Rum Sauce.
- Rum Sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, lemon juice, rum and water,
and bring to a rolling boil. Cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture begins to thicken and the sugar has dissolved,
about 5 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and transfer it to a serving pitcher.
- Serve along with the slightly cooled banana bread pudding and whipped cream,
if you like.
Yield: 6 servings
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 10/3/2001 9:03 am.
Source: The Farm House Cookbook, Susan Herrmann Loomis, 1991
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bread Pudding Recipes