Black Forest Bread Pudding
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 12 ounces black rye bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 (12 or 16 ounce) package frozen pitted dark sweet cherries
- 2 (12 ounce) packages semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
- Butter a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with some of the butter; spread remaining
butter on bread slices. Place bread slices in baking dish, overlapping as necessary
- Sprinkle with frozen cherries, half of the chocolate pieces, and the cinnamon.
- In a medium saucepan combine remaining chocolate pieces, 1 cup of the whipping
cream, and the sugar; heat and stir just until chocolate is melted.
- Gradually stir
in remaining cream.
- Beat eggs in a very large bowl; stir in melted chocolate mixture and almond extract.
- Slowly pour over bread in dish (dish will be very full).
- Cover and chill for 2 hours
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Uncover bread pudding and place baking dish on a foil-lined
- Bake for 70 to 80 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 160
when inserted in the center.
- Cool on a wire rack at least 45 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- If desired, top with whipped cream and/or almonds.
Yield: 16 to 20 servings
Nutrition facts per serving: calories: 546 total fat: 38g saturated fat:
22g monounsaturated fat: 12g polyunsaturated fat: 2g cholesterol: 183mg sodium:
229mg carbohydrate: 51g total sugar: 35g fiber: 4g protein: 8g vitamin C: 3% calcium:
8% iron: 14%