Bread-Apple Pudding with Custard
- 4 apples, peeled and cut up
- 6 eggs, beaten until frothy
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 9 teaspoons melted butter
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 18 slices dried bread, cubed
Custard Pie Filling
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Custard Pie Filling: Mix ingredients together in a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Bake custard in water bath (set your 9 x 13-inch pan in a large pan filled with water) until
custard starts to settle, about 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. I make half this recipe for a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Bread Pudding: Heat apple pieces with a small amount of water in a shallow pan, just enough
to soften apples. Drain.
- Beat eggs until frothy. Mix in brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon,
and butter; beat until well blended.
- Stir in milk and raisins.
- Stir in cubed bread. Toss to soak the bread and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add apples. Add completed bread mixture on top of the custard.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 30 minutes, then
increase the heat to 425 degrees F and bake for 15 more minutes.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 6/14/01 8:33:17 pm.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.