Bread and Butter Pudding
An excellent English pudding and delicious.
- 9 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 60g (2 ounces) butter
- 1/3 cup sultanas or currants
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- Grated nutmeg
- Spread the bread thickly with butter and cut each slice into 4. Arrange half
in a buttered 5 cup oven-proof dish, buttered side down.
- Sprinkle with the fruit and half the sugar.
- Cover with remaining bread, butter side up.
- Beat the eggs and milk together and strain over the pudding.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and nutmeg to taste and leave for 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated moderate oven, 160 degrees C (325 degrees F), for 50 to 60
minutes until the top is golden.
- Serve with custard or cream.
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark.