Brown Sugar Bread Pudding with Amaretto Sauce
- 4 to 5 cups fresh French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (from an 8- or 10-ounce loaf)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup Amaretto*
* You may substitute bourbon, rum, Grand Marnier or hazelnut liqueur.
- Bread Pudding: Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Set oven rack in lower third
of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and brown
sugar until thick and smooth, then blend in cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt, milk
and raisins. Pour egg mixture over bread and gently combine. Transfer to buttered
baking pan. Set in roasting pan, and place both pans in the oven. Fill the pan with
very hot tap water up the sides of the bread pudding.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Spoon pudding into wine glasses or goblets.
- Ladle Amaretto Sauce over pudding
and top each serving with a maraschino cherry.
- Amaretto Sauce: Make while pudding bakes in a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and
butter over medium heat. Cook and stir constantly to the soft ball stage (235 degrees
F to 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer).
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg and amaretto or spirit of choice.
- Serve warm over still-warm bread pudding.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.