Cappuccino Bread Pudding
with Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated
- 4 cups cubed firm white bread, crusts removed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.
- Lightly oil a 1 1/2- to 2-quart shallow baking dish or coat it with non-stick
cooking spray. In a
- saucepan, simmer coffee over low heat until it is reduced
to 1/2 cup, 7-8 minutes; let cool to
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, brown sugar and cinnamon until smooth.
- Whisk in
evaporated skim milk, then add the lukewarm coffee.
- Arrange bread cubes in an even
layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the milk mixture evenly over the bread.
Let soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sprinkle almonds over the top of the
pudding and bake for 25 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F and
bake for 5-8 minutes longer, or until the top is browned and the nuts are toasted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Caramel Sauce: In a small heavy saucepan, combine sugar, lemon juice and 1/2
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
Cook, without stirring, until the syrup turns deep amber, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and let cool for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in butter until
it is incorporated, then gradually whisk in evaporated skim milk.
- Return to low
heat and stir until the caramel has dissolved completely.
- Whisk in vanilla extract.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- To serve, dust the top of the pudding with confectioners' sugar and pass
the warm caramel sauce alongside.
Yield: 6 servings