Cherry Apple Bread Pudding
- 9 slices firm-textured white bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dried tart red cherries
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Lightly butter one side of bread slices; cut bread into quarters. Arrange half
of bread pieces, buttered side down, in ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking
- In large bowl, toss together apples and lemon juice. Sprinkle apples and dried
cherries on top of bread in baking dish.
- Top with remaining bread, buttered side up.
- In large bowl, stir together eggs, milk, and sugar. Pour egg mixture evenly over
bread in dish. Press mixture down lightly with back of large spoon to be sure all
bread is moistened.
- Bake, uncovered in 350 degrees F oven for 45-50 minutes or until set and a knife inserted
near center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.