Chocolate Hazelnut Brioche Bread Pudding
- 3 to 4 slices brioche, crusts removed, cut into 1/2 -inch cubes (you will need about 2 1/2 cups of cubes)*
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon good-quality dark cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 3 ounces good quality semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus a pinch of salt (divided)
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico liquor
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup toasted hazelnuts**
- Sweetened whipped cream or ice cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toast brioche in preheated oven until lightly brown, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- In saucepan, bring milk, cream and 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar to a boil. Then immediately
turn off heat.
- In a bowl, mix egg yolks and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and whip until
- In a large bowl, mix cocoa powder and hot water to a smooth paste. To this mixture
add half of the hot milk-cream mixture, the chopped chocolate and a pinch of salt
and mix until smooth.
- Slowly add the other half of the milk-cream mixture to the egg/sugar mixture,
whipping quickly to temper yolks. Add this mixture to the chocolate mixture. Add
Frangelico and mix together.
- Add reserved bread cubes to chocolate mixture and mix lightly with a spatula.
Do not break up cubes, just let soak in mixture at least 15 to 20 minutes.
- To make garnish: In a nonstick sauté pan over medium heat, add butter. When butter
is melted, add brown sugar and mix together.
- Add hazelnuts and remaining 1/2 teaspoon
salt and mix together. Cook about 1/2 minute - do not burn.
- Place nut mixture on plate to cool.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Use four oven-proof custard or creme brûlée dishes (about 5 to 5 1/2 inches wide
and 1 inch high). Using a slotted spoon, divide soaked bread cubes among the four
dishes - make sure the bread cubes aren't stacked.
- Divide remaining custard around and over the bread cubes.
- Place dishes in a towel-lined roasting pan or baking
dish and pour in very hot water halfway up the sides of the custard dishes to create
a water bath.
- Coarsely break up cooled hazelnut garnish and divide over tops of bread puddings.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes until bread pudding is just set
in the middle. Turn roasting pan halfway around during baking so the desserts cook
- Remove from water bath, and serve warm with your choice of lightly sweetened
whipped cream or ice cream.
Yield: 4 servings
* If brioche is not available, any good-quality egg bread or challah could
** To toast hazelnuts, put on cookie sheet and set in preheated 350 degree F oven.
Toast until light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and coarsely chop into
about 1/4-inch pieces.