Heavenly Lemon Bread Pudding
This bread pudding is similar to a soufflé. It will, in fact, "fall"
somewhat as it cools, but you won't be disappointed with its creamy tartness.
- 3 rounded cups 1/2-inch bread cubes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon grated lemon
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs,
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter the bottom only of a 2-quart casserole or
- Combine bread cubes and lemon zest in large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine whipping cream, milk, sugar, butter and salt in a heavy saucepan. Over
medium heat, cook until butter melts, stirring occasionally. Pour over bread mixture,
and toss. Allow to cool.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks, then beat in the lemon juice and stir into the bread
mixture. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl of electric mixer until stiff peaks form. (Do not
- Gently fold egg whites into bread mixture.
- Pour bread mixture into prepared dish, and bake for 1 hour, or until a knife
inserted 1 inch from center comes out clean. The top of the pudding should be golden
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
- Serve warm, at room temperature
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 8, 2001.
Source: A Home Bakery