Peanut Brittle Bread Pudding with Bananas Foster Sauce
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups dry French, Italian or sourdough bread cubes*
- 1 cup coarsely chopped peanut brittle
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
* To dry bread cubes, place cubes in a large pan and bake in a 350 degrees F
oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until dry but not brown, stirring twice.
Bananas Foster Sauce
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon rum or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon banana liqueur or orange juice
- Bread Pudding: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl beat together milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, orange peel and cinnamon.
- Place bread cubes in an ungreased 2-quart square baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread cubes.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanut brittle.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly.
- Serve warm with Bananas Foster Sauce and vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- Bananas Foster Sauce: In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in brown sugar until melted.
- Add bananas. Cook and gently stir over medium heat about
1 minute or until heated through.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately with Peanut Brittle Bread Pudding.
Makes 8 servings | 1 1/2 cups sauce