Rummy Banana Bread Pudding
- 4 (6 ounce) ramekins or custard cups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons
- 3 small (about 1 pound) bananas, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
ounces crusty bread (about 1/2 loaf), crusts removed, torn into
32 small pieces
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F with a rack in the center.
- Place a baking pan filled
with 1/2 inch of water in the oven.
- Butter 4 (6 ounce) ramekins; set aside.
- Whisk together the cream, eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, vanilla extract and rum; set aside.
- Cut the butter into 8 pieces. Place 1 piece of butter and 1/2 teaspoon sugar
in each ramekin.
- Place an eighth of the banana slices in an even layer over the
butter and sugar.
- Cover the banana with 4 pieces of bread.
- Sprinkle each with 1/2
teaspoon of sugar.
- Pour about half the cream mixture among the ramekins to soak
- Divide the remaining banana slices among the ramekins, sprinkle each with 1/2
teaspoon sugar and top with the remaining bread; pour the remaining cream mixture
over. Press to soak bread.
- Place 1 piece of butter in each; sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Cover each
ramekin loosely with aluminum foil and bake in the hot water bath for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 30 minutes more.
- Transfer ramekins to cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before serving.