Sweet Potato Bread Pudding with Praline Sauce
Incredible, fabulous and unbelievable are adjectives to describe this melt in
your mouth dessert if you enjoy yams and cinnamon. The Praline Sauce is so delicious
you'll want to eat it by itself with a spoon.
- 1 (16 ounce) loaf French Bread, cut into squares
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed, or 1 cup fresh sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Bread Pudding: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place French bread squares into a 2-quart oblong casserole dish coated with nonstick
- In a mixing bowl, beat sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, milk, egg, egg whites,
molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour evenly over bread and press with hands
to submerge bread in liquid mixture.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until pudding is set.
- Praline Sauce: In a very large pot (mixture foams up while cooking), cook sugar,
margarine, baking soda, and buttermilk on medium heat, stirring frequently until
sugar is dissolved. Mixture will foam, stir to beat down foaming. The color will
begin to caramelize. Cook until a slight brown color, approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Nutrition: Per serving: Cal 361 (13% from fat); Fat 5g; Protein 10g; Carb
69g; Chol 38mg; Sodium 430mg; Saturated Fat 1g; Dietary Fiber 2g
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bread Pudding Recipes